Crisis & Counseling Centers is a collaborative and comprehensive behavioral health agency operating in Central Maine. Since its founding 51 years ago, Crisis & Counseling Centers has become one of the most trusted behavioral health agencies in Maine, with approximately 120 employees located across several facilities and numerous community-based settings statewide.
G.E.A.R. Parent Network is currently looking for a Family Peer Specialist to work in Aroostook County. The Family Peer Specialist (FPS) supports, educates, role models and encourages parents/caregivers to move toward self-advocacy in the attainment of their own, culturally-specific life goals for themselves and their children.
The ideal candidate would:
- Live in Penobscot County.
- Be the parent/caregiver of a child/youth with emotional or behavioral health needs.
- Provide educational information and resources to help families navigate through the education, children’s behavioral health, juvenile justice and social services systems.
- Provide assistance accessing medical and/or mental health care coverage.
- Share personal lived experience and support families with no shame, no blame, and no judgment via phone, 1:1, and in the community.
- Identify family strengths, needs, and trauma history and build on family’s strengths.
- Encourage, teach and role model positive parenting skills and behavior management.
- Advocate for family services in the community, school systems.
- Network with providers for coordination of client services.
- Actively participate in scheduled meetings, including case reviews, supervisory sessions, and staff/group supervision meetings.
- Provide timely follow-up and support to family (within 24 hrs unless contacted on weekend/holiday).
- Complete monthly data entry by providing location/attendance of support groups/workshops and contacts.
- Represent the agency to the community in a professional manner.
- Assure that client confidentiality and the rights of clients/families as outlined in the agency’s standards, policies, and procedures.
- Obtain (within 3 years of employment) the National Certification as “Certified Family Peer Specialist”.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of lived experience parenting a child/youth with behavioral health concerns and experience navigating systems of care on behalf of that child.
- Obtains National Certification from the National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health Certification Commission as a Certified Family Peer Specialist is required within 2 years of date of employment.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
In order to mitigate risk of Covid-19 coming into our facility and to ensure the safety of our clients and staff, the Covid-19 vaccination is required for this position.
This is a part-time (15 hours/week), non-exempt position. Some evenings and Saturdays and/or as need is identified.
This position would service Penobscot County. Remote work is available.
We offer a generous benefit package and competitive salary for full-time employees in a supportive and team oriented work environment.
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Short-term disability
- Flexible spending account
- 10 paid holidays
- 401K plan
- Additional life and long-term disability
- Dental insurance available
- Earned Time starting at 4+ weeks per year!
To apply, please submit a current resume.
Crisis and Counseling is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.